Nobody Knows Me.

This is the place where I will rant, rave, vent, or vex on life, pop culture, politics, or anything else that may cross my mind.

My photo
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, December 27, 2010

20+10 = My 30 Favorite Songs of 2010

Here is my annual list of songs I've loved this year.

30. Train "Hey, Soul Sister". This song was literally, everywhere. Radio, tv commercials, country radio, dance radio (thanks to the Karmatronic mixes), and finally a cover version on "Glee". It was inescapable all year long, but thankfully it was something I didn't mind having embedded on the front lobe of my left side brain. Besides any song that name checks Madonna has to be somewhat ok. Right?

29. Charice "Pyramid" (feat. Iyaz) - Perhaps Warner Bros. should have sat on Charice's album until after her guest spot on "Glee" wraps. This soaring pop/r&b song should've propelled her into the pop stratosphere, but was released about 6 months too early.

28. The Script "Breakeven"

27. Scissor Sisters "Fire With Fire" America's disregard for this band still astounds me. This galloping anthem was one of the finest pop songs of the year.

26. Colbie Caillat "I Never Told You" (Video Mix) The extra ad-libs on the end of the Video version of this song totally make this song perfect.

25. Diana Vickers "The Boy Who Murdered Love" UK X-Factor '08 finalist, Diana Vickers struck #1 gold with her first single "Once". This follow up fizzled on the charts, but was my favorite from her album.

24. Taio Cruz "Dynamite"

23. Selena Gomez and the Scene "Naturally" My biggest guilty pleasure song of 2010.

22. Adam Lambert "If I Had You"

21. Brandon Flowers "Crossfire" The Killers frontman's solo career didn't quite catch fire as it should have, but the this song and the album, Flamingo, are great reminders of the talent that Flowers has as performer and artist.

20. Sugarland "Stuck Like Glue" Country purists may hate the reggae/rap breakdown plopped in the middle of this song, but I for one love it. What makes it even better is Jennifer Nettles' Beyoncé "Single Ladies" tribute (leotard and all) during it in the video.

19. Bruno Mars "Just The Way You Are" I admit, I didn't fall in love with this song until AFTER it was used on "Glee" but this not-overly saccharine ballad always makes me smile.

18. Nicki Minaj "Check It Out" (with will.i.am) Best example of using an 80's sample (the Buggles' "Video Killed The Radio Star") and making it work. Too bad will.i.am also had a hand in the worst use of an 80's sample (Dirty Dancing's "(I've Had) The Time Of My Life) with the Black Eyed Peas wretched "The Time (Dirty Bit)".

17. Taylor Swift "Mine" Say what you want about her live singing skills, Taylor still writes songs heads and shoulders above her pop and country peers. "You are the best thing that's ever been mine" is one of the simplest yet smartest lyrics ever written.

16. Joe McElderry "Ambitions" I don't know what it is about this song that makes me want to start a flash mob in the middle of the street. But I do.

15. Ke$ha "Tik Tok" Okay maybe this is my biggest guilty pleasure song of the year. So sue me.

14. Katy Perry "Firework" Katy can't sing this live for crap, and having it sung better by reality show contestants (Matt Cardle on the X-Factor and the Sing-Off's Backbeats) just goes to prove that a good song is a good song is a good song.

13. Rihanna "Only Girl (In The World)" Thankfully Rihanna got the dirge-fest that was "Rated R" out of her system, because she pulled out all the stops on this epic club track that returned her to the top of the charts, and once again proved she is the savior of pop music.

12. Lady Antebellum "Need You Now"

11. The Saturdays "Higher" Forget the FloRida assisted radio version and go directly to the "Headlines!" EP version for Una's fantastic wailing on the bridge.

10. Robyn "Hang With Me" Pop music's hardest working, yet still underrated, artist released three EPs of some of the finest music heard in ages. Shimmering, robototic, and heartbreaking all in one fell swoop "Hang With Me" is only one of the gems found on the "Body Talk" series.

9. Katy Perry "California Gurls" (feat. Snoop Dogg) Immediately, upon first listen of this in April, I pegged it to be the Summer of 2010 song and I was correct. Katy's answer to Jay Z and Alicia's "Empire State Of Mind" was this year's catchiest, most sung along to song.

8. The Band Perry "If I Die Young" An exquisite ballad that slowly but surely scaled it's way to the top of the country charts. The lyrics are so strong and striking, creating such haunting imagery in my mind. I think I got shivers the first time I heard it

7. P!nk "Raise You Glass" P!nk never fails to deliver and this rowdy tribute to all the "dirty little freaks" became only her third #1 in a career that should probably have more than just three.

6. Adam Lambert "Whataya Want From Me" 2009's American Idol runner up almost saw his post Idol career end before it began when his American Music Award performance of "For Your Entertainment" raised more than a few eyebrows and the backlash began to seep in. Luckily he had an ace in the hole in the form of this P!nk written track that reversed the damage and catapulted his album sales to Gold status.

5. Kylie Minogue "All The Lovers" Lead single from Kylie's 11th album, "Aphrodite' was a spellbinding, euphoric, glimmering trip through pure pop perfection.

4. Robyn "Dancing On My Own" The first single from Robyn's "Body Talk" project showcased the Swedish doll's penchant for crafting a hook, line, and (heart)sinker. If you aren't devastated by the songs lyrics I'd check for a pulse.

3. Katy Perry "Teenage Dream" Words can't describe the nostalgic feelings conjured up by this song. Katy hit it out of the park with this ode to days gone by and first crushes. Add in "Glee" then flipping the song on its head with an a cappella all-male version and it totally sent this song into my top 10 of all time.

2. Kylie Minogue "Get Outta My Way" Ms. Minogue's disco-fied dance floor filler was awash in swirly synths, pulsing beats, and a sassy chorus. Kylie knows her heart and fans belongs on the dance floor and this massively addictive track put both front and center.

1. Miranda Lambert "The House That Built Me" If I were a songwriter, this is the song I wish I had the talent to write. Striking, immediate, and poignant this song takes such an ordinary topic and creates a visual that is melancholy, wistful, and just plain beautiful. While Miranda didn't write the song, I can't picture any one else singing this as her vocals lend just the right amount of vulnerability without becoming overly sentimental. A perfect performance on a perfect song.

No comments:

Post a Comment